Tf-msp mailinglist archives

Subject Re: NEWS from TF-MSP: MEETING 9 MAY and CLOUDS INFORMATION
From Licia Florio <florio@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:56:01 +0200

Hi all,

Some quick comments on Simon's emails (including his previous email).

> You'll want to involve the refed guys in the discussions. Not much use in
> talking about "which services" NRENs might broker (or co-develop) without
> considering how a customer will sign onto them, regardless of where they are
> or which public institution they're from.

It's nice to see to see REFEDS mentioned here as the group to involve
with to discuss federated issues; I think that it makes sense to have
discussions revolving federated access within REFEDS :)

However the way how users access a service (which it's nowadays in 90%
of the cases via their federations) it's only one aspect of the service
delivery, although it's a complex one.

What I would hope to see MSP discussing is the business cases for
deploying/brokering services and possibly some service models. What are
the issues for doing that? What are the benefits? How do NRENs expect to
work in the coming years?
Would an NREN be better off brokering a service for their users or would
NRENs be better off in joining forces? Are there recommendations from
this group? How can TERENA help?

Maybe you all have these discussions, but it is not immediately clear to
me being an outsider.

> Besides Nicole is doing one part
> of the same survey already.
> http://access.jiscinvolve.org/wp/federating-the-researchers/ It's good to
> see the librarians involved at last, as they will be pivotal, so long as you
> can get them to focus on the real time services their customers want, in
> addition to their usual professional focus on classifying 'institutional'
> information.

As a further clarification, Nicole's blog reports about a questionnaire
done as part of the AAA study that TERENA (together with LIBER, Univ. of
Debrecen and Univ. of Amsterdam) are carrying out, for the European
Commission.

See more at:
https://confluence.terena.org/display/aaastudy/AAA+Study+Home+Page

cheers,