Tf-msp mailinglist archives

Subject RE: NEWS from TF-MSP: MEETING 9 MAY and CLOUDS INFORMATION
From "Simon Fenton-Jones" <simonfj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:24:49 +1100

That's good John,

Seems like all of (publicly funded) Europe is in aggregation mode.
Marvellous how a recession puts a focus on things. So that's four entry
point to the discussions about "cloud services" (for network
managers)/"shared services" (for their customers). Great!

You'll want to involve the refed guys in the discussions. Not much use in
talking about "which services" NRENs might broker (or co-develop) without
considering how a customer will sign onto them, regardless of where they are
or which public institution they're from. Besides Nicole is doing one part
of the same survey already.
http://access.jiscinvolve.org/wp/federating-the-researchers/ It's good to
see the librarians involved at last, as they will be pivotal, so long as you
can get them to focus on the real time services their customers want, in
addition to their usual professional focus on classifying 'institutional'
information.

As mentioned before, the driver for this sharing of (publicly funded)
services between institutions is coming from the .gov space. The main
social/cultural move being to provide services that support participatory
government and open (inter-institutional) learning, as opposed to the old
representative government and closed (institutional-centric) model. We're
seeing that story, about the cultural difficulty, hit the headlines now.
E.g.
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/the-paranoia-that-will-shut-government-2012030
6-1uh86.html

I mention it - as our NREN reps fly off to their meetings with their usual
suspects - because 'their' political reps are talking about "technological
imagination"
http://apsozloop.ning.com/profiles/blogs/malcolm-turnbull-gets-gov-2-0 and
its scarcity. (same in Europe around "ICT skills week")

I can't see how any NREN can justify subsidizing transport and accommodation
costs for their reps in Europe any more, especially as all the (tf-media)
technology has been available to them for years. But I guess we have to wait
until things get really tight. Necessity, it seems, is the ONLY mother of
invention.

Until then. Keep up the good work.
Regards, si