Refeds

Subject Re: [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID
From Nick Roy <nroy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:48:03 +0000

I think it's telling that the same people, wearing their IAM hats, really liked the idea of outsourcing authN.  When asked to wear their "you as a person" hat, the same people said "nope."

Outsourcing authentication might make your job easier: when some of us think everyone wants it because it's easy, is it really that _we_ want it because we think it (might) make our jobs easier?  Is this basically our professional lives coloring our perception of what our customers want?

Nick

From: <mace-dir-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, October 23, 2015 at 8:18 AM
To: Nate Klingenstein <ndk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Eric Goodman <Eric.Goodman@xxxxxxxx>, "mace-dir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mace-dir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "refeds@terena. org (refeds@xxxxxxxxxx)" <refeds@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [refeds] [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID

One of the most fascinating moments at the last Installfest at UT-Arlington came when Paul Caskey surveyed the room about the use of social identity providers.

He asked whether, as practitioners, we favored leveraging social identities.  There was universal consensus in favor.

He then asked whether, as private individuals, they would prefer using a social identity.  A remarkably small fraction of the class raised their hands, and about half raised their hands to explicitly say that they would prefer to not use a social identity.

[Mark]

I’m curious about the age range of class.  My un-scientific observation is that the younger you are the more trust you have in external credentials.  (I really don’t like the term ‘social identity’)