Refeds

Subject Re: VO challenges - article
From Nick Roy <nroy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:10:51 +0000

I like the idea of arming researchers with a white paper (see Mikael's note a few back that has a link to a letter in support of CoCo sent to EU university CIOs - https://wiki.edugain.org/CoCoEndorsement

However, various permutations on this kind of researcher-focused, targeted approach have been tried before.  When successful, it results in a few targeted research universities joining the very small club of R&S supporters.  It doesn't get at the larger issue, which is that LIGO or the NIH or CERN or any of a number of other research efforts have collaborators at places we as federation operators and IAM practitioners have no idea about, and no way of targeting.

The larger solution to the issue, I think, involves a massive communication campaign aimed at CIOs and Registrars on the level of EDUCAUSE (for US CIOs) and AACRAO (for US Registrars) - similarly broad venues in the EU, Asia/Pacific, etc, if they are available.  Then, coupling that with incentives at a federation level.  Maybe you get a discount on your participation fees if you support R&S (that might work for InCommon, probably very different support/incentive model in other feds).

Nick