Refeds

Subject Re: VO challenges - article
From "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2@xxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2015 17:08:05 +0000

On 10/27/15, 12:52 PM, "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>[Mark] I'm still not understanding what you think campuses should be doing in
>support of VOs.  I suspect that a concrete example would help.

I think campuses should be managing data for applications about their users in their own IDM systems, with different degrees of control, access, ownership, etc. That's as concrete as I can be because where I work we don't (and won't) do that, so I don't have much exposure to the practicalities of it. I just think if we don't do that, we won't do much of anything else in the medium term either.

>[Mark] Is it easy to replace authentication with a commodity?

My own opinions are more measured, but most people seem to believe so.

>Are you suggesting that it would be easy to replace campus authentication with Google
>or some other external authentication provider?  If that is true then why
>would campus IT bother continuing to provide that service?

Inertia. In a few cases perhaps a legitimate feeling that selling out to Google is bad, which of course presupposes that that is the only alternative. But mostly inertia and risk aversion to me.

-- Scott