Refeds

Subject Re: VO challenges - article
From Benn Oshrin <benno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Sun, 25 Oct 2015 23:24:47 -0400

On 10/22/15 11:11 AM, Jones, Mark B wrote:
>> My own opinion is that once you give up on using federation for
>> authorization
>> data, it's inevitable that authentication will follow.
>>
>> If the IdPs don't want to be in the buisiness of helping with access
>> management
>> for the applications using their service, then they won't have a service to
>> worry
>> about within a short span of time.
>>
>> -- Scott
>
> [Mark] I completely disagree.  From the relying party perspective I have no
> use for authorization data from an IdP.  Authentication is where the value is.
> Just give me a reasonable identifier.

There's at least one real world use case for authorization data from the
VO / RP perspective, and that's initiating a deprovisioning process. For
example, if a VO participant loses a university appointment, that may in
turn change or remove their eligibility for participating in the VO.

This also implies attributes for provisioning, but during onboarding
there is incentive for an enrollee to demonstrate (somehow) a suitable
affiliation. No similar incentive exists for offboarding. ("Oh yeah,
I'll remember to tell you when I quit my job.")

It would probably be helpful to this use case for R&S to be expanded to
include eduPersonAffiliation...

-Benn-