Refeds

Subject Re: [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID
From Nate Klingenstein <ndk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 16:13:12 +0000

I wonder what answers our researchers would give. Seems they might actually prefer such a blending, but I'm definitely speculating.

It’s a very good question.

I’m pretty much a nerd in a wide variety of topics from virology to climate science and spend all my entire life in my house reading and editing Wikipedia, and I’ve been seeing ORCID’s appearing spontaneously on public personal pages of some of the leading researchers.  It’s fascinated me.

Personally, I think that a closer collaboration with ORCID gives us the best shot at satisfying the preferences of the research community in this regard.

In my dogma/dream world, the university would host a persistentId-style key representing the user’s identity at ORCID, and ORCID would host one representing the user’s identity at their present organization.  The ORCID itself would be expressed as an attribute by ORCID as the authority, no matter which provider the user authenticated at initially, for applications that needed to leverage it.

I haven’t heard other people support the above integration approach, though, and I have heard good arguments against it from others, mostly around ORCID acting more as a service provider and less as an identity provider.