Refeds

Subject RE: [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID
From Paul Caskey <pcaskey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 16:04:21 +0000

I wonder what answers our researchers would give. Seems they might actually prefer such a blending, but I'm definitely speculating.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Arkills [barkills@xxxxxx]
To: Jones, Mark B [Mark.B.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxx]; Nate Klingenstein [ndk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]; Cantor, Scott [cantor.2@xxxxxxx]
CC: Eric Goodman [Eric.Goodman@xxxxxxxx]; mace-dir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mace-dir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]; refeds@terena. org (refeds@xxxxxxxxxx) [refeds@xxxxxxxxxx]
Subject: RE: [refeds] [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID

To support Nate’s assertion …

Our university hosts a student fair near the beginning of the academic year. Our IAM program has hosted a table at that event the last two years and both years we asked students who visit that table whether they’d like to use an ‘external identity’ for their UW class work (we asked a few other things too). The responses both years were overwhelmingly against. I wasn’t present at this year’s event, but last year when I asked some of those students why not, the response was that they wanted separation of their social and academic lives, and using the same identity would mix the two in a way they felt wouldn’t give them control.

That said, we do enable prospective students to use an external identity to begin putting together an academic plan, which they can transition to our UW NetID if they end up attending. But that’s to support a clear business need/scenario by helping improve interest in attending by lowering the barrier to explore & imagine what it’d be like to attend our university.