Refeds

Subject Re: Social Identity Rant: was [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID
From Keith Hazelton <keith.hazelton@xxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:18:30 +0000

In support of this, I note that 'external identity' is the term used by the InC-TAC Working Group on this topic. See

--
email & jabber: keith.hazelton@xxxxxxxx

From: <mace-dir-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, October 23, 2015 at 10:15
To: Nate Klingenstein <ndk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2@xxxxxxx>, Eric Goodman <Eric.Goodman@xxxxxxxx>, MACE-Dir <mace-dir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, refeds <refeds@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Social Identity Rant: was [refeds] [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID

The term “social identity” was a response to a push from the original OpenID crowd to use the term “user-centric identity”, which was IMHO even less accurate, given that that meant in practice “Google, Facebook, and Twitter centric identity".  I don’t like either term, but the lexicon has become what it is.

[Mark] I would like to see us attempt to move away from the term ‘social identity’.  I understand why it was coined, but providing authentication services has become a line of business for Google, Amazon, and others and is no longer just a perk of using one social site or another.  I think the term ‘social’ has a negative connotation that may not apply and confuses discussion.  I prefer ‘external identity’.  This term would include any authentication provider not run locally.