Refeds

Subject RE: Social Identity Rant: was [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID
From Paul Caskey <pcaskey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:17:46 +0000

+1

And the NIST folks are taking notice of these external logins too: https://nccoe.nist.gov/sites/default/files/nccoe/Privacy_Enhanced_Identity_Brokers_Building_Block_WP.pdf

From: mace-dir-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mace-dir-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jones, Mark B
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 10:15 AM
To: Nate Klingenstein
Cc: Cantor, Scott; Eric Goodman; mace-dir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; refeds@terena. org (refeds@xxxxxxxxxx)
Subject: Social Identity Rant: was [refeds] [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID

The term “social identity” was a response to a push from the original OpenID crowd to use the term “user-centric identity”, which was IMHO even less accurate, given that that meant in practice “Google, Facebook, and Twitter centric identity".  I don’t like either term, but the lexicon has become what it is.

[Mark] I would like to see us attempt to move away from the term ‘social identity’.  I understand why it was coined, but providing authentication services has become a line of business for Google, Amazon, and others and is no longer just a perk of using one social site or another.  I think the term ‘social’ has a negative connotation that may not apply and confuses discussion.  I prefer ‘external identity’.  This term would include any authentication provider not run locally.