Refeds

Subject Re: [MACE-Dir] eduPersonSubjectIDGUID
From Nate Klingenstein <ndk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 03:22:43 +0000

One of the most fascinating moments at the last Installfest at UT-Arlington came when Paul Caskey surveyed the room about the use of social identity providers.

He asked whether, as practitioners, we favored leveraging social identities.  There was universal consensus in favor.

He then asked whether, as private individuals, they would prefer using a social identity.  A remarkably small fraction of the class raised their hands, and about half raised their hands to explicitly say that they would prefer to not use a social identity.

I think we should bear things like this in mind.

Bottom line, though, I agree with you in that I don’t know what the world wants or expects here.  That’s why I want to build the flexibility for the world to play with implementation approaches that are more powerful.  We would have far more practical experience and data to draw upon in making these evaluations.