Refeds

Subject RE: e-learning and ID federation
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Thu, 6 Nov 2014 16:06:07 +0000

Ann
I was a panellist in a privacy session at the last GD meeting in Georgetown (my write-up is at https://community.ja.net/blogs/regulatory-developments/article/opportunities-and-choices-digital-student-records-and-privacy).

My impression was that their main current use cases are "customer-not-present": either institutions transferring academic records between themselves as students move, or else potential employers validating the qualification certificates and transcripts they have been given by applicants. FedAAI might fit in there when alumni request digitally signed PDFs of their qualifications, but that's a pretty standard authenticate-to-a-server set up. And since alumni will usually be requesting information from their own (former) university, there may not be much requirement for *federated* access (in the sense of cross-organisation) either.

There may be longer-term plans to do more real-time provision of information: not sure if any other list members were at the workshop or have been involved in GD discussions and could comment?

Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet
t: +44 1235 822302
b: https://community.ja.net/blogs/regulatory-developments
Janet(UK) is a trading name of Jisc Collections and Janet Limited, a not-for-profit company which is
registered in England under No.2881024 and whose Registered Office is at Lumen House, Library
Avenue, Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0SG. VAT No. 614944238