Refeds

Subject Re: e-learning and ID federation
From Jon Miner <jon.miner@xxxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2014 16:30:52 +0000

On Nov 5, 2014, at 9:28 AM, Cantor, Scott <cantor.2@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can say that in the US midwestern universities, the *concepts* of course
> sharing and transferring credit have been on-paper drivers of federated
> identity since before it was called federated identity. But in *practice*
> it hasn't really worked as a use case.

Yup.

> The administrative processes for dealing with for-credit courses are
> complex and they typically can't handle giving credit to somebody that's
> not formally a student at that university.

Even within our system we haven't been able to accomplish that.  We have a "shared" LMS that directly integrates with 17 different IdPs and every course is distinct per campus.

jon

--
.Jonathan J. Miner------------------Division of Information Technology.
|miner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                 University Of Wisconsin - Madison|

Reason #6 to quit your job and move to Key West:  Everybody stares at me when I drink margaritas at meetings.
 - Quit Your Job And Move To Key West: The Complete Guide