Refeds

Subject Re: this is the separate thread on entity-categories vs requiredattributes
From Peter Schober <peter.schober@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:55:18 +0100

* Leif Johansson <leifj@xxxxxxxx> [2014-10-29 18:39]:
> So just to be clear about this: entity categories can't solve all issues
> with attribute release wo something like requiredattributes
s/requiredattributes/requestedattributes/ right?
> since entity categories typically don't let the SP fulfil the
> minimality requirements.
>
> The R&S category is an example of this: you have to signal both
> R&S *and* the list of attributes it needs.

Well, yes and no. Yes in that section 5 of REDEDS R&S talks about SPs
requesting attributes. I've also interpreted the spec this way,
https://wiki.univie.ac.at/display/federation/Service+Categories

No in the sense that REFEDS R&S defines a minimal subset, so an IDP
cannot claim to support REFEDS R&S if it doesn't release those. From
that follows that those don't actually need to be requested in SAML
metadata: If the IDP doesn't deliver, it doesn't support REFEDS R&S.

I agree that REFEDS R&S was designed to work without relying on
isRequired, but one could claim that it does work just fine without
RequestedAttribute in SAML metadata, at least for the mininum subset.
-peter