Refeds

Subject Re: an SP's home federation with respect to R&S
From Ian Young <ian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 7 Oct 2014 13:35:23 +0100

On 7 Oct 2014, at 13:23, Tom Scavo <trscavo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is a question about Research & Scholarship (R&S). If a particular
> SP registers metadata in multiple federations (with the same
> entityID), which one of the federations determines the SP's
> eligibility for R&S (if any)?

I think it's fairly obvious that in that situation, each of the registrars will make their own determination.

> Exactly the above has happened. An SP has applied for R&S in the
> InCommon federation but that same SP is already exported to eduGAIN by
> another federation, without the R&S designation.
>
> Another way of asking the question is: does each SP have a home
> federation with respect to R&S? If so, how is the home federation
> determined?

This isn't specifically about R&S, really, the same question could be asked about any other aspect of the metadata for the entity. The question should really be whether we move to a general situation where SPs have a single home registrar rather than making multiple registrations.

In this case, because I know you're talking about the UKf in the second paragraph, a simplified version of the question would be whether we should resolve this by working with the entity owner so that one or other of the federations takes responsibility for them, applies the R&S label (if appropriate) and exports to eduGAIN for the benefit of the other (and everyone else).

	-- Ian