Refeds

Subject RE: Privacy Self-Management and the Consent Dilemma
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2013 07:03:47 +0000

Tom
Interesting paper, thanks. I wonder whether the cleanest approach would be to end up with four different classes of processing:
*) processing that's never allowed
*) processing that's allowed if the individual consents
*) processing that's allowed unless the individual objects
*) processing that's allowed because the benefits to society override any small risk to individuals

If those four categories were created by law then the job of regulators would be to provide guidance/rulings on which of the four any new form of processing falls into.

Unfortunately the debate over the new EU data protection law seems to be becoming increasingly polarised, rather than converging to any sort of consensus, so I fear the result is more likely to be determined by politics than reasoned argument :(

Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet
t: +44 1235 822302
b: https://community.ja.net/blogs/regulatory-developments
Janet(UK) is a trading name of Jisc Collections and Janet Limited, a not-for-profit company which is registered in England under No. 2881024 and whose Registered Office is at Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0SG. VAT No. 614944238