Refeds

Subject Re: (fwd) New version of eduPerson now entering last call
From Leif Johansson <leifj@xxxxxxxx>
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 09:26:51 +0200

On 06/07/2013 07:45 PM, Cantor, Scott wrote:
>> What we would like is an attribute like eduPersonUniqueID that is
>>
>> *	prefixed - so we can know the origin of the number
> It's already suffixed, with scope. That addresses that problem in the manner that's most consistent with the rest of eduPerson.
Scope isn't necessarily the form of naming authority identifier
we want to go for in this case I think.

I don't know (or have any opinion about) weather this means that
eduPersonUniqueID shouldn't be used for national id numbers.
>> *	multivalued - so that we can keep track of the person's history
> The InCommon group that formulated these proposed additions talked about the implications of multi-valued attributes on identifiers and concluded that it would be simply too big a problem for consumers to force them to deal with that.
>
>> If we could store all those values in a single attribute, it would be possible for
>> the services to recognize the user over time.
> You can't handle history with a multi-valued attribute because the values aren't ordered.
>
> The general use case of linking people using identifiers from multiple sources is something I think is out of scope for this particular proposal, and should be looked at more broadly across the full set of identifiers.
It isn't actually about history at all. All identifiers are typically
legal at the same
time so ordering is not an issue.

        Cheers Leif