Refeds

Subject RE: (fwd) New version of eduPerson now entering last call
From "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2@xxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 7 Jun 2013 17:45:34 +0000

> What we would like is an attribute like eduPersonUniqueID that is
>
> *	prefixed - so we can know the origin of the number

It's already suffixed, with scope. That addresses that problem in the manner that's most consistent with the rest of eduPerson.

> *	multivalued - so that we can keep track of the person's history

The InCommon group that formulated these proposed additions talked about the implications of multi-valued attributes on identifiers and concluded that it would be simply too big a problem for consumers to force them to deal with that.

> If we could store all those values in a single attribute, it would be possible for
> the services to recognize the user over time.

You can't handle history with a multi-valued attribute because the values aren't ordered.

The general use case of linking people using identifiers from multiple sources is something I think is out of scope for this particular proposal, and should be looked at more broadly across the full set of identifiers.

-- Scott