Refeds

Subject RE: Fwd: [i2mi-info] Re: (fwd) New version of eduPerson now entering last call
From "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 7 Jun 2013 08:52:47 -0500

I remember reading a suggestion to change "names" to "usernames".  I don't
have a strong opinion about either suggestion.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Hazelton [mailto:hazelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 8:45 AM
To: lukas.haemmerle@xxxxxxxxx; i2mi-info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; mace-dir; REFeds
Subject: Re: Fwd: [i2mi-info] Re: [refeds] (fwd) New version of eduPerson
now entering last call

Lukas and everyone,

The following sentence in the section on the syntax of
eduPersonPrincipalName is raising questions and concerns:

"Syntax: directoryString; In general Unicode characters are allowed.
In LDAP, this data type implies UTF-8
encoding, and such characters are permitted. However, to reduce the risk of
application errors, it is recommended that values contain only characters
that could occur in persons' names. "

Let me propose an alternative:

"Syntax: directoryString; In general Unicode characters are allowed.
In LDAP, this data type implies UTF-8
encoding. However, there are certain Unicode characters that might cause
processing errors (for example, ® or §), so good judgement is advisable when
constructing values of eduPersonPrincipalName."

 --Keith