Refeds

Subject Certification marks and why I don't think we want to go there
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Sun, 2 Jun 2013 09:56:20 +0000

A couple of references on the legal meaning of certification marks:

World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) recognises the term "certification mark" but they seem to regard them as a national issue. http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/ip_business/collective_marks/certification_marks.htm

UK Intellectual Property Office. Certification Marks are defined in the Trade Marks Act as a particular type of trade mark. So they have to pass all the normal tests for registering a trademark (distinctive, not generic, etc.), and then some: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-different.htm

Information about how the Office handle certification marks, with a lot of requirements on the organisations handling them: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmmanual-chap4-certcoll.pdf

Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet
t: +44 1235 822302
b: https://community.ja.net/blogs/regulatory-developments
Janet(UK) is a trading name of Jisc Collections and Janet Limited, a not-for-profit company which is registered in England under No. 2881024 and whose Registered Office is at Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0SG. VAT No. 614944238