Refeds

Subject Re: advice on redirect from email for discovery?
From "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2@xxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 15:51:13 +0000

On 5/15/13 11:41 AM, "David Chadwick" <d.w.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>the problem is that not all apps use browser based login, so at Kent we
>have 3 different types of logins that users use (and see)

I know that's the case, but I don't think I agree that it's a huge
problem, personally.

>i) eduroam for the network where nothing is typed most times (zero sign
>on, except when it fails and you have to start again)
>ii) web site login which is Shibboleth and browser based SSO
>iii) other app logins which are proprietary and may pop up a pw window
>e.g Thunderbird
>
>So will Moonshot ABFAB manage to unify all of these?

I don't think Google will be abandoning OAuth + browser hacks for it, no.

Their latest roadmap even highlights apps that don't use the browser as
being a problem to be solved by telling them to start using the browser,
in particular mobile clients.

So no, I don't think the web option is going away, nor do I think that it
solves all problems, so that leaves at least two cases. Plenty of people
argue for getting rid of the non-web case but I think that's because they
don't care about network access or command line apps as a problem space to
solve.

-- Scott