Refeds

Subject RE: draft charge, refeds working group on attribute release
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:30:50 +0000

Hi Ingrid
Sorry to disturb your holiday!

The information I'm being given looks good. But the attributes you are releasing look to me like a mixture of necessary ones and ones that really do need consent. For example I've just tried to log in to Fronter, and it seems that to use that service I'm forced to release my full name and date of birth. I'd need a lot of convincing that Fronter can't provide service to me without knowing my date of birth so I feel I ought to have the option of refusing release of that, and probably some others too (i.e. refuse my consent to those releases), and still carry on and use the service with only the necessary ones being disclosed. I suspect quite a lot of current interfaces get close but miss that bit.

Incidentally I don't personally care about people knowing how old I am, or when to buy me cake. But date of birth turns out to be the only "secret" you need to know to reset the password on "Verified by Visa", so restricting disclosure of that suddenly becomes rather important. Indeed since DoB turns out to be functionally equivalent to the VbV password, and I'm required by contract to tell my card issuer if anyone ever finds out my pwd, I've been tempted from time to time to inform them whenever someone finds out my DoB ;)

Andrew

PS As you may have guessed, I'm unhappy with VbV because I solemnly typed in a 30 character password (twice!) before discovering that anything more than 8 digits of entropy was a complete waste of time :(

--
Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser, JANET(UK)
Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell, Didcot. OX11 0SG UK

JANET, the UK's education and research network