Refeds

Subject RE: The Most Important Attribute
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Thu, 7 Jul 2011 07:13:50 +0000

Just a reminder that European law provides five other justifications for processing (FERPA provides even more), all of which have simpler requirements both for compliance and user interaction than consent does. For example Dave's credit card is the perfect example of "processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party".

See Schedule 2 of the UK Data Protection Act 1998 for the full list (it's the same list as in the EC law, but is better laid out on the UK website): http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/schedule/2

Each time you go for consent you're making your life, and that of your users, as hard as it can be :(

Andrew

PS The law also (perhaps surprisingly) doesn't regard a credit card or debit card number as the most sensitive attribute: racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life, commission of offences, and any punishment imposed are all classed by law as significantly more sensitive. Financial details are just common or garden personal data.