Refeds

Subject Re: The Most Important Attribute
From Rhys Smith <smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 6 Jul 2011 21:31:23 +0100

On 6 Jul 2011, at 21:06, Rhys Smith wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2011, at 20:57, David Chadwick wrote:
>
>> which is what we should be trying to engineer (ie. remove as much visibility and complexity from the user as possible).
>

> So you're advocating removing any kind of getting consent from the user? (when implemented, it's one of the most visible and complex parts of the process from a UI perspective...)

Just replying to myself here, don't mind me...

I was being flippant, but there is an important point to make.

The only good UI is one that doesn't interact with the user and presents no interface. Transparent is simple. Currently there is no consent, which is as invisible and simple as it gets.

You can have simplification and increased usability, or you can have user consent mechanisms of any type. You can't have both...

(Yes, there are better and worse ways of managing consent (massive open question as to which options are which), but they're *all* more complex and less usable than no consent at all).

R.
Dr Rhys Smith                                   e: smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Engineering Consultant: Identity & Access Management  (GPG:0xDE2F024C)
Information Services,
Cardiff University,                            t: +44 (0) 29 2087 0126
39-41 Park Place, Cardiff,                     f: +44 (0) 29 2087 4285
CF10 3BB, United Kingdom.                      m: +44 (0) 7968 087 821