Refeds

Subject international standards for LOA
From Heather Flanagan <hlflanagan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:52:18 -0400 (EDT)

The concept of an international standardized set of values for LOA is something I was grumbling about last week offline.  The NIST guidelines are very useful, but are they international enough?  I think this is a useful concept to poke at, tho' perhaps not on the original thread.

-heather f.
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Chadwick" <d.w.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Robin Wilton" <racingsnake@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Nicole Harris" <Nicole.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Licia Florio" <florio@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Lucy Lynch" <llynch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mikael Linden" <Mikael.Linden@xxxxxx>, "REFeds REFeds" <refeds@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 4, 2011 11:39:13 AM
Subject: Re: [refeds] draft charge, refeds working group on attribute release

Hi Robin

the confusion is easily avoided by having an internationally
standardised attribute type called LOA, with standardised values. Then
the type/value is carried in the protocol, rather than simply the value.
If countries want to standardise their own attribute types for internal
use they are free to do so, and they can then carry these values in
protocol between themselves. Cross-border transfer then requires
knowledge of country specific attributes, or use of the international
standard for trans border messages.

FYI, I was always using the NIST scheme in my messages.

regards

David