Refeds

Subject Re: draft charge, refeds working group on attribute release
From Nicole Harris <nicole.harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Mon, 4 Jul 2011 21:08:01 +0100

Thanks Peter, I concur.

We currently have a trust framework at a level that SPs do place more trust in than the average facebook ID - this is why someone like an academic publisher is willing to accept an assertion from King's College that I am a member, but wouldn't accept my facebook ID if I chose to assert that I am a member of KCL.  We don't have a neat way of declaring that which is as easy as 'LOA1' or 'LOA2' to whatever definition is being used.

I'm really hopeful that we can start a conversation around the LEGO project that will get us closer to that.  It will also be interesting to link this through to PEER - what is the different assurance between 'I've registered my metadata in PEER' and 'I am a member of an academic federation and they are publishing my metadata', for example.

Getting back to Steven's charge, I still think there is a huge amount of work we can do in the here and now just to allow members to effectively release more attributes in a secure and trusted manner without introduced 'increased' LOA, whatever that means.