Refeds

Subject Re: draft charge, refeds working group on attribute release
From Josh Howlett <Josh.Howlett@xxxxxx>
Date Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:34:08 +0000

Hi Licia,

>So I think the message for the IRISC workshop in September should
>something like "this is what you get using id-federations;
>id-federations are happy to support you; this is what you get using
>openId-facebook, up to you to decide". I don't think there is much more
>we can do really.

Work to provide a more compelling alternative?

Identity is rapidly becoming a commodity. If we take the attitude that
federation is a solved problem because it satisfies the needs of a
particular group of people at a particular point in time, they will simply
become redundant as the commodity services become more sophisticated. As
with the commoditisation of the network, federations will only remain
relevant (as NRENs have) by looking forwards at our customers' developing
requirements; however niche, impossible or incomprehensible they might
initially appear.

Josh.

Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG