Refeds

Subject Re: draft charge, refeds working group on attribute release
From Licia Florio <florio@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:11:15 +0200

Hi Mikael,

I think you provided a very good summary of the discussion so far.

I think federations are not there to compete with facebook (and alike),
although if a user-community being in the position to choose decided to
go for facebook, then maybe federations should wonder if their marketing
is good enough.

I do believe that it is important for REFEDS (especially in light of
inter-federation discussion) to engage with different communities and at
least try to explain to them the benefits of using NRENs federations,
but ultimately it will be up to them to decide.

We do know that especially for SPs offering their services to different
federations can be a pain, so maybe we should try and make some of the
processes easier.

So I think the message for the IRISC workshop in September should
something like "this is what you get using id-federations;
id-federations are happy to support you; this is what you get using
openId-facebook, up to you to decide". I don't think there is much more
we can do really.

cheers,
Licia

--