Refeds

Subject Re: draft charge, refeds working group on attribute release
From Josh Howlett <Josh.Howlett@xxxxxx>
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:36:24 +0000

>I'm not a huge fan of federations playing a defining role rather than an
>advising role for attribute release

Unfortunately, as far I can can tell, this is increasingly the expectation
of service providers, particularly within the entire e-Science community.

Their expectation is that it is the *federation* that provides them with
attributes or LoAs or whatever - not IdPs. Service providers want a
one-stop shop for identity and if federations don't supply it, Facebook
will.

I don't know whether it's causal or not, but I've observed that those
federations that do take a defining role (eg. SWITCHaai) tend to have a
higher SP/IdP ratio.

Josh.

Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG