Refeds

Subject EC Data Protection revision apparently delayed
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Fri, 6 Aug 2010 07:43:15 +0000

No official announcement from the European Commission yet, but it appears that they have decided take a bit longer to think about the revision of the Data Protection Directive. It's reported (by the French data protection authority) that this is in response to pressure from national regulators not to rush the legislation, but I hope that comments we raised about the serious problems with the current directive for pseudonymous identifiers also helped them realise that time for thought was needed.

The plan was to have a revised text available by the end of this year, but instead we're now going to get a report on the consultation that has taken place over the past year, with the draft Directive planned for November 2011.

So those of us who weren't holding our breath will have to not hold it a bit longer...

Cheers

Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser
JANET(UK), Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, OX11 0SG, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1235 822302
Fax: +44 (0) 1235 822399

JANET, the UK's education and research network