Refeds

Subject Re: Report on disco-STEPS
From John Paschoud <j.paschoud@xxxxxxxxx>
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:02:45 +0100

I agree with Nicole on the stance of many UK academic libraries.  There is still a confusing mix of access methods (sometimes well disguised from end users by library portals, sometimes less so), including a fallback on IP for most on-campus access to most resources.  Partly this is to enable (physically on site) 'library visitors' to have access that's allowed by many licenses.  Some libraries may do no identity management of such people at all (i.e. anonymous public access).

Where users access resources via a well-managed library portal (e.g. http://www2.lse.ac.uk/library/eresources/Home.aspx) WAYFless URLs are used where possible.  This works for affiliated users onsite and offsite;  but can confuse non-affiliated onsite users.

The downside of this is that many (affiliated) users are not exposed to the FAM login process whilst they are onsite (and in easy reach of helpdesks etc), and may meet it first when they are working off campus.

For as long as we have to accept that Where-You-Are is part of license terms for resources, as well as What-You-Are ("member@xxxxxxxxxxx" etc), there could be some advantages to any national education federation in bundling this with other overheads of running a WAYF service (which after all is hardly a BIG job):

1) Publishers/SPs could be sold the added benefit of not needing to maintain IP ranges for customer institutions any more;

2) All end users could be channelled into a single consistent access process (Location-aware FAM) that matched the Where... and What... terms of many licences.

Another way to do this of course would avoid maintenance of IP range lists at all by a WAYF (or by SPs), and add IP-checking to the IdP:  If a user was (appeared to be from current IP address) "in the library" or "on campus", a Location-aware IdP could (when a user was in a recognised IP range/'place') return an agreed EduPersonEntitlement value (like "InLibrary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" or "OnCampus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" to an SP, and skip challenging for a password.

SAML 2 and Shib provide (don't they?) for an SP to come back to an IdP and request further attributes if needed for the access level requested, which might include invoking the usual authentication challenge.

Or have I picked up the wrong end (or the wrong stick) too???

John