Refeds

Subject RE: Report on disco-STEPS
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 07:41:07 +0000

Possibly a belated Friday idea, but since we're only looking for hints, do we actually need to actively maintain a full list of IP address mappings? Wouldn't the web2.0 way to do it be to look for what choice had previously been made by 'nearby' IP addresses?

Clearly there's a small information leakage there - "someone from your site has been here before" - and the WAYF needs to remember some information linked to, say, a /24. People accessing from home via a broadband ISP are going to get slightly random results, but I think that's true of any scheme that tries to use IP addresses as hints.

Just a thought...

Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser
JANET(UK), Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, OX11 0SG, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1235 822302
Fax: +44 (0) 1235 822399

JANET, the UK's education and research network