Refeds

Subject RE: Work Items discussed during the REFEDs meeting
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Fri, 9 Jul 2010 09:26:14 +0000

Steve
Apologies for the long delay, but it's been a crazy few weeks for conferences and other meetings. At the REFEDs meeting in Vilnius I agreed to write up the publisher discussions in a form that could be considered for inclusion in the REFEDs work plan, so the main purpose of this mail is to discharge that item. Combining your e-mails and the stuff already on the wiki, I've come up with the following five.

1. Discovery
Publishers' primary concern in the Discovery space is developing recommendations on dealing with what they see as the exploding number of Higher Ed/Research Shibboleth Federations (currently more than 30). The NISO Web SSO WG's recommendations to publishers will likely run parallel to the Shibboleth "Discovery Service 2.0 Roadmap" (https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/DSRoadmap) including recommending that Service Providers use a DS that is integrated into the SP site rather than relying on Federation supplied DS services.The WG's Final Report will be distributed to Publishers this summer.

2. Standardising/Simplifying Processes and Workflows
Publishers are very interested in simplifying some of the current processes:
*	the process of making a Publisher accessible from the Nth Federation;
*	the process of on-boarding a campus to a Publisher and using SAML-based access;
*	defining standard approaches for reaching a deep link AND simultaneously identifying the user or IDP;
*	etc.
Reaching agreement on these questions will require consensus among the publishers and the large group of Federations.

3. Personal Data Laws
There seem to be three main concerns
*	Understanding different definitions of personal data
*	Understanding when personal data can be disclosed/used ("consent" vs "necessity")
*	Understanding when personal data can be transferred into and out of the European Economic Area

4. Standards for Digital Certificates
There seem to be some differences between federations on whether self-signed certificates are acceptable, or whether certificates need to be issued or certified by particular bodies

5. Standards for providing campus test accounts
It would be useful to have guidance on when and how publishers can test systems against accounts from campus authentication systems. We have briefly discussed this at a REFEDs meeting and concluded that the most realistic (and safest) test would be to seek volunteer library services to work with interested publishers.

Most of them seem to relate to existing REFEDs work items on the list that Licia has already circulated (most obviously number 3 is the same as my existing work item!) so I'd suggest that where possible we distribute them among the existing work items rather than creating a separate "work with publishers" item that would risk duplicate parts of others. But it's up to the group whether they want to do it that way, and indeed if they decide there are some of these that they don't want to include.

The group may also have views on the best way to incorporate publisher representatives. However the term "work item" may suggest that REFEDs has a more formal (sub-)structure than is actually the case! In effect REFEDs is a mailing list and biannual face-to-face meeting. In between the meetings members get on with working on the items they are particularly interested in, using whatever communication methods are most appropriate. Each work item has a leader who is supposed to ensure that there is a report on progress at each meeting. So at the moment, people get involved by joining a meeting or the mailing list and then talking to the informal groups working on chosen items. So it seems to me that the natural way for publishers to join in is to have the coordinating people join the REFEDs list and then either they, or others they recommend, get involved in the relevant informal groups.

Comments and suggestions?

Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser
JANET(UK), Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, OX11 0SG, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1235 822302
Fax: +44 (0) 1235 822399

JANET, the UK's education and research network