Refeds

Subject RE: affiliate student?
From Mikael Linden <Mikael.Linden@xxxxxx>
Date Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:59:55 +0300

Hi Glenn,

>I read that e-IRG paper for the first time during June (around the same time
>that Licia circulated the collaboration notes and not long after Ken sent his
>'one year plan for Refeds' proposal). It was encouraging to see IAM as a
>highlighted issue, and I too saw a good use case for confederation.
>One of the problems with convincing projects (like those listed in that
>document) to support federated access is that the project leader is not in
>your federation, yet other project participants are.
>
>We need greater collaboration as Licia's notes suggest, or a co-coordinating
>body as Ken proposes (in fact, we need both) to liaise with each project
>leader, and show that each project participant will be facilitated by his/her
>national federation.

Agreed. It is a long way, but I think there are no alternatives if we want to
convince them to use our (con)federations.

>I suggest we develop a target list of cross-border projects and begin to work
>on convincing the projects to adopt federated access in a co-ordinated way.
>Admittedly, we may not have the degree of technical interoperability nor a
>policy that has widespread approval, but we may find that many of the projects
>may not require a high degree of either to being with.

I hope eduGAIN is going to be the technical and policy framework, at least in
Europe, initially.

eduGAIN is going to have a pilot with CLARIN, which is one of the initiatives
listed in the e-IRG paper. Hopefully we will get a good showcase there.

The first experiences on CLARIN in Kalmar Union are promising.

>Perhaps the REFED's wiki would be the place to start a target list?

That's a good idea. I can do that when I'm back from holidays.

However, someone needs to take the ownership of the pages and take care of them...
Otherwise, we will face the same problem as what the content provider
pages (https://refeds.terena.org/index.php/CommonSPs) are currently having;
nobody maintains them, and the data is out of date. Volunteers?

mikael