Refeds

Subject RE: affiliate student?
From "Glenn Wearen" <glenn.wearen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:31:56 +0100

Mikael,
I read that e-IRG paper for the first time during June (around the same time
that Licia circulated the collaboration notes and not long after Ken sent his
'one year plan for Refeds' proposal). It was encouraging to see IAM as a
highlighted issue, and I too saw a good use case for confederation.
One of the problems with convincing projects (like those listed in that
document) to support federated access is that the project leader is not in
your federation, yet other project participants are.

We need greater collaboration as Licia's notes suggest, or a co-coordinating
body as Ken proposes (in fact, we need both) to liaise with each project
leader, and show that each project participant will be facilitated by his/her
national federation.

I suggest we develop a target list of cross-border projects and begin to work
on convincing the projects to adopt federated access in a co-ordinated way.
Admittedly, we may not have the degree of technical interoperability nor a
policy that has widespread approval, but we may find that many of the projects
may not require a high degree of either to being with.

Perhaps the REFED's wiki would be the place to start a target list?
Regards
Glenn

HEAnet Ltd. Ireland's Education and Research Network Registered in Ireland, no
275301
5 Georges Dock, I.F.S.C. Dublin 1, Ireland. Tel +353 1 6609040. Availability