Refeds

Subject RE: EC consulting on data protection
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Fri, 2 Jul 2010 11:25:03 +0000

Pretty much anyone trying to work across more than one country! Banks trying to exchange credit histories details and pharmaceutical companies trying to do international drugs trials were two that were mentioned.

Both discovered that they were having to comply with 27 different rules on notification/approval for processing, whether stuff was personal data, and even what purposes were supported by local legislation (apparently there are countries that don't have the "legitimate interests of a third party" justification, which is going to be a big problem for both of those applications) :-(

Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser
JANET(UK), Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, OX11 0SG, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1235 822302
Fax: +44 (0) 1235 822399

JANET, the UK's education and research network