Refeds

Subject Paper on the messy question of "is an IP address personal data?"
From Andrew Cormack <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:42:13 +0000

I presented a paper at an academic legal conference earlier this week on the complete mess that's resulting from courts and regulators asking the question "Is an IP Address personal data?". My conclusion is that this is actually the wrong question - hence the mess - but it's the one that current law encourages them to ask.

That makes things very unclear for ePTID and friends, as we've discussed, but also for other activities that are actually in the interests of the Internet, such as security monitoring and incident response.

I'm attending a meeting in Brussels tomorrow where the Commission are looking for input into the revision of the Data Protection Directive, so I'm hoping to make that point there. If you'd like to read the paper in the meantime, it's linked from the blog posting at
http://webmedia.company.ja.net/edlabblogs/regulatory-developments/2010/06/29/pseudonymous-identifiers-and-the-law/.

At least a couple of non-lawyers have pronounced it accessible, so I hope it's not too hard work...

Cheers

Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser
JANET(UK), Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, OX11 0SG, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1235 822302
Fax: +44 (0) 1235 822399

JANET, the UK's education and research network