Refeds

Subject Re: The other side of academic identity
From Ingrid Melve <ingrid.melve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:46:27 +0200

On 25.06.2010 11:20, Nicole HARRIS wrote:
> Pretty much ditto all of the already said in the uk. We've two identifers that would fit here, our Unique Learner Number and Orcid / Names identifiers for authors.  I guess for me these are just another attribute set not issued by the entity organisation so normal problems with aggregation, attribution etc. apply.

One point that was made during some of our local discussion is that
those two are currently disjunct, but will overlap more and more as all
bachelors and master publications get added to the author space.  It is
just a matter of time before a learner publish someting (and with web2.0
and portfolios this happens quicker than you'd imagine)

We are scratching our heads over some of these issues, and may well end
up with having to implement a Unique Learner Number unless the Tax
Authority suddenly comes to their senses and implement the suggested
fixes for the current holes in the Norwegian NIN system.

Trying to sort into categories:
 - national identity numbers
	stable uniqe identifiers
	some countries have, limited within country
	well defined namespace
 - unique learner number
	stable unique identifiers
	UK has national, others have local per institution
 - eduPersonTargetedID
	unique identifiers
	provided by some federations
 - eduPersonPrincipalName
	unique identifiers, rules for reassignment varies
	provided through federations by home institution
	well defined namespace
 - author names (author authority)
	some national schemes, but used in international context
	plenty of ad-hoc: Orcid etc
	overlap, not much discussion library/CRIS/federation yet
 - international students (Erasmus)
	discussion with the R3G about migrating student records
 - email addresses
	unique, but can be reassigned and thrown away
	"drop the boyfriend, drop the email account, start fresh over"
	the most used unique identifier online
	(cell phone numbers share the same properties)
 - reuse google/facebook/whatnot account
	unique identifier assigned by trusted third party
	apart from user friendlyness, share characteristics with PKI

I'd suggest concentrating on the author identity and mapping out that
use case, while keeping the federation principles for minimal
information exposure in mind (if possible).

Ingrid