Refeds

Subject Re: The other side of academic identity
From Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:45:39 +0200

Hi,

A number of countries have local/other/alternative initiatives for this
as well, in The Netherlands we have DAI, Digital Author Identifier
(http://www.surffoundation.nl/en/themas/openonderzoek/infrastructuur/Pages/digitalauthoridentifierdai.aspx).

In the Netherlands, this is a lifelong ID and it travels with the user -
in theory - as a new IdP should add the DAI to the set of attributes
provided, so the identifier does not change. Within SURFfederatie it
should be presented in an attribute called 'nlDigitalAuthorIdentifier'.
This DAI is based on work in www.oclc.org, which is a global association
of national libraries. Interestingly, orcid seems to be a publishers thing..

As I stated, IdPs should present this ID, however it is rarely
available. This is why we are now investigating if we could use the
authoritative source of this DIA as an attribute provider.

cheers,
Niels