Refeds

Subject Re: Work Items discussed during the REFEDs meeting
From "Diego R. Lopez" <diego.lopez@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 9 Jun 2010 23:11:35 +0200

On 9 Jun 2010, at 00:50, Steven_Carmody@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'd prefer the term "federated rewriting proxies" rather than "EZProxies", as the latter is a commercial product, there are several other (commercial and free) solutions, and the progress we may make on this should not depend on the usage of that specific software.

You're correct -- EZPROXY is a specific product (currently owned by OCLC). Interestingly, its become much more than a rewriting proxy -- I've taken to referring to it as a "swiss army knife". It provides a growing amount of specialized processing specific to SAML-based access, and completely separate from its proxy component. Its does a good job of supporting a "hybrid" campus environment that includes a mixture of Publishers supporting SAML and IP-based access control.

I don't have a generic name for this type of product. But, I think its much more than "federated rewriting proxies". Thus, the use of the product name EZPROXY.....

As far as I can tell, this is similar to products like WAM (from Innovative), or the combination of SFX, simpleSAMLphp and the PAPI rewriting proxy that is in use in several of our institutions.

Dr Diego R. Lopez

Red.es - RedIRIS
The Spanish NREN

e-mail: diego.lopez@xxxxxxxxxx