Refeds

Subject Re: Work Items discussed during the REFEDs meeting
From Steven_Carmody@xxxxxxxxx
Date Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:50:30 -0400

At 8:45 AM +0200 6/8/10, Diego R. Lopez wrote:
Hi,

A couple of remarks on point (c):

I'd prefer the term "federated rewriting proxies" rather than "EZProxies", as the latter is a commercial product, there are several other (commercial and free) solutions, and the progress
we may make on this should not depend on the usage of that specific software.

You're correct -- EZPROXY is a specific product (currently owned by OCLC). Interestingly, its become much more than a rewriting proxy -- I've taken to referring to it as a "swiss army knife". It provides a growing amount of specialized processing specific to SAML-based access, and completely separate from its proxy component. Its does a good job of supporting a "hybrid" campus environment that includes a mixture of Publishers supporting SAML and IP-based access control.

I don't have a generic name for this type of product. But, I think its much more than "federated rewriting proxies". Thus, the use of the product name EZPROXY.....