Refeds

Subject Re: Work Items discussed during the REFEDs meeting
From Steven_Carmody@xxxxxxxxx
Date Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:50:28 -0400

At 2:21 PM +0200 6/7/10, Licia Florio wrote:

c. Working with publishers
-----------------------------
Andrew reported on the initial calls between a some of REFEDs
participants and publishers. Andrew noted that the publishers when
approached were very positive about the REFEDs. They felt that REFEDs is
the only forum where their needs can be discussed in an international
context.

The Publishers were very interested in simplifying some of the current processes -- the process of making a Publisher accessible from the Nth Federation, the process of on-boarding a campus to a Publisher and using SAML-based access, defining standard approaches for reaching a deep link AND simultaneously identifying the user or IDP, etc. Reaching agreement on these questions will require consensus among the publishers and the large group of Federations; REFEDS seems like a logical place to host that conversation.

As engaging with the publishers can result in discussing a variety of
issues, Andrew proposed that he would, in consultation with the
publishers, prepare a list of topics that would then be mapped to REFEDs
roadmap. Some of the issues identified cover licences, usability, and so
on.

I think its advisable to use a single channel/group to communicate with the Publishers, rather than asking them to join multiple REFEDS Working Groups/Activities. I think the communication with the Publishers and the relationship with the Publishers needs to be coordinated in order to achieve a successful outcome. Although some of the work might be done in multiple REFEDS subgroups, I think we need a single primary contact point for the Publishers.