Refeds

Subject RE: Work Items discussed during the REFEDs meeting
From "Andrew Cormack" <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:07:53 +0100

Licia
Sorry if I'm suffering post-conference jet-lag, but what's DOI (item c)?
Since I'm mentioned in the item, I'm feeling a bit silly not knowing...

Also, I'm not sure I'd concentrate quite so much on privacy notices in
the write-up of item (d). It seems to me there are a lot more user
interface issues than the particular wording of privacy notices,
especially as even Data Protection Regulators don't seem able to agree.
I've just been reading a paper on network monitoring to detect copyright
infringement: two of seven countries reckon that doesn't involve
processing personal data at all, while several of the others think it's
not just personal data, but crime-related data, so only the police can
do it. So much for "harmonisation"! Whether the new draft directive, due
at the end of this year, will provide any clarity I don't know.

And I'd be grateful for one further clarification on the "listing
service". Is it IdPs who fetch this metadata direct from the service, or
are federations supposed to add it to their metadata files and
distribute it to all their IdP members? Current comments seem to hint at
both.

Cheers

Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser
JANET(UK), Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation
Campus, Didcot, OX11 0SG, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1235 822302
Fax: +44 (0) 1235 822399

JANET, the UK's education and research network