Refeds

Subject Re: What is a domesticated application?
From Robin Wilton <futureidentity@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 11:52:30 +0100

Part of the problem may be that "domestic" can mean quite a few things in English...

As Torbjörn has found, it can share with French the meaning of a 'domestic servant' - e.g. a housemaid or butler (how English... ;^).

From the same roots, it can mean 'something from one's own home or country', as in 'domestic affairs', 'domestic (as opposed to imported) wine' , etc.

'Domesticated' tends to mean one of two specific things:

1 - an animal which has been tamed/trained to the extent that it can live indoors (apprivoisé);
2 - a plant which has been imported and established itself in another country (e.g. "rhododendrons originated in China but are now widely domesticated in Britain")

Does this help suggest a particular definition of 'domesticated' in the context of this discussion?

Yrs.,
Robin