Refeds

Subject Re: edu ID branding
From "Robin Wilton" <futureidentity@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:35:38 +0100

Just a very quick comment... I think a 'brand' is a much broader concept
than a logo...
The logo is a purely visual sign, and preferably is distinctive and
instantly (even subliminally) recognisable;
the 'brand' can encompass things like 'trustworthiness', 'reliability',
'aspiration', 'past experience' etc.
If an important part of that over-all picture is that you are part of a
group of organisations with similar
values and goals, that is worth trying to put across...

HTH,

Robin

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 11:53 +0200, "Peter Schober"
<peter.schober@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Mark Williams (JISC) <m.williams@xxxxxxxxxx> [2010-06-01 10:23]:
> > Clearly some constituencies have an issue with the EDU part of EDUID
> > (or an edu specific part of any other solution we may look at). So
> > how about an extendable brand?
>
> I'm certainly not an expert on brand building (and Leif already
> mentioned that there /are/ people doing this for a living) but I doubt
> a modular system would make it easier to communicate what it is we're
> doing, both to users (which is what much of the current discussion is
> centered on, rightfully so) but also to "others" (resource providers,
> government agencies, etc.).
> The latter (which Ingrid Melve thankfully mentioned on the REFEDs
> meeting on Sunday) is something I dearly miss, needing to resort to
> constructs like "we do and we want the same thing you did with
> SWITCH/UKFed...".
> (Echos of federations.org, I guess?)
>
> So I /guess/ that changing the current situation to "We $(FooID) do
> and want the same things as the $(BarFooID) and $(BazID) people" won't
> improve things the way I would hope for (but then it remains to be
> seen if any other approach will).
> -peter

Robin Wilton

Director, Future Identity
Director of Privacy and Public Policy, Liberty Alliance

www.futureidentity.eu
+44 (0)705 005 2931
Structured consulting on digital identity, privacy and public policy
Future Identity is a limited company number 6777002, registered in England & Wales