Refeds

Subject Re: edu ID branding
From Rhys Smith <smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 1 Jun 2010 12:00:40 +0300

On 1 Jun 2010, at 11:35, Leif Johansson wrote:
> but the brand actually has to mean something

Sorry - have to disagree here.

The brand doesn't have to mean *anything*, and I'm extremely doubtful we could ever create a brand that meaningfully expresses what federated identity is all about that the average user in the street (edu-affiliated or not) can understand. Most notably, if even we could, users do not want to understand: they just want things to work as if by magic.

So all a brand needs to be is a consistent UI element for them to learn to identify quickly.

(Note that all of the above is not just my personal opinion, but the overarching message I got from talking to various types of user in my investigations in writing the SP interface study for JISC).

N.B. Arguably the most recognisable brand in the world is the nike swoosh - despite being anything but meaningful :-).

R.
Dr Rhys Smith                                   e: smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Engineering Consultant: Identity & Access Management  (GPG:0xDE2F024C)
Information Services,
Cardiff University,                            t: +44 (0) 29 2087 0126
39-41 Park Place, Cardiff,                     f: +44 (0) 29 2087 4285
CF10 3BB, United Kingdom.                      m: +44 (0) 7968 087 821