Refeds

Subject RE: Comparison of eP(S)A values
From "Andrew Cormack" <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:02:42 +0100

We very much hope that's the case

> In general, MACE-Dir folks would like to know if there are real world
> or planned usage scenarios for each of the other values.

As far as I know, the GN3 project is developing a set of use cases to
look at, so I'd hope that could either identify those requirements, or
else increase the likelihood that they don't exist.

My personal suspicion, and I've not yet found any counter-examples, is
that real-world access control (particularly for cross-domain
applications) either depends on simple membership of a particular
organisation or on being a particular person. There are some useful
groupings of particular people - students on course X is an obvious one,
or budget holders - but those seem to be ad hoc lists of particular
people rather than being derived from any other characteristic. Even if
someone did try to implement an access rule that, for example, included
faculty but excluded students then there are sufficient individuals who
are in both groups (most PhD students!) that the rule would be pretty
leaky anyway. Within a single organisation there may be use cases that
depend on things like "does this person have an employment contract",
but there the IdP and SP are going to be in the same management domain
so shouldn't suffer from different definitions of a particular value.

> Finally, the trickier questions:  Should the eP spec be revised to
> include something like your bolded definitions?  If so, what is the
> process and who should be involved, who (or what organization) should
> issue it.  If not, should your document be considered to "profile" eP
> for inter-federation scenarios?

If possible, I'd much prefer simple definitions to be included in the
eduPerson spec. Putting them in an inter-federation profile risks
another federation discovering that they have chosen the wrong
interpretation only when they think about inter-federation, i.e. *after*
they have rolled it out to tens or hundreds of IdPs and SPs :-(

I don't know what the process for updating that spec is, but if there's
anything I can do to help, please let me know. The suggested definitions
in our paper are very much suggestions, but I'm very happy to make them
freely available if they are useful.

Cheers
Andrew

>             I can imagine how painstaking the efforts were in pulling
> together that document,  thank you.   --Keith
> __________
> On Sep 22, 2009, at 04:12, Andrew Cormack wrote:
>
> > Keith/Michael
> >
> > [Could one of you forward this to MACE-DIR, if appropriate, since
I'm
> > pretty sure it'll reject my attempt to post there?]
> >
> > Many thanks for the feedback and for giving it time on the MACE-DIR
> > agenda. All suggestions, corrections and comments very welcome. I'm
> > planning on producing a final version of the paper after the Refeds
> > meeting in Rome on the 20-somethingth of October (that meeting
should
> > also produce some slides to accompany the paper). Comments in-line
> > below.

"non-faculty-workers"