Refeds

Subject RE: publisher interface study
From "Andrew Cormack" <Andrew.Cormack@xxxxxx>
Date Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:40:01 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Vries, Ale de (ELS-NYC) [mailto:ale@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: 29 September 2009 23:37
> To: refeds@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [refeds] publisher interface study

<snip> some really useful observations, thanks

> And I wouldn't worry too much about eduID sounding too "education-
> only". To some degree a name is just a name, and as long as what it
> stands for is good stuff, it'll fly (after all, "ipod" and "google" are
> kinda stupid words in themselves, right?)

The problem is that edu is actually seen as specific to *higher* education, and therefore excluding the rest of our constituency. A bit like if we proposed "UKID" or "NLID" as an international brand; or if iTunes was called AppleTunes...

That's why we have to refer in the UK to "JANET Roaming/eduroam". It would be nice not to have to do that again.

Though it's probably not as bad a branding choice as Opel/Vauxhall's Nova car, which never did sell very well in Spain ;-)

Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser
JANET(UK), Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, OX11 0SG, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1235 822302
Fax: +44 (0) 1235 822399

JANET, the UK's education and research network