Refeds

Subject Re: Comparison of eP(S)A values
From Keith Hazelton <hazelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:48:35 -0500

We'll be talking over this usage comparison doc on today's MACE-Dir call.

Please consider the following an historical note:

The value "employee" was included in the controlled vocabulary for eP*A since the first release of eduPerson (1.0, Feb., 2001). I have distinct memories (but no documents) that we included that specifically to cover the UK case where teachers, researchers and other workers are lumped under a single term. "Employee" was intended to serve as this single term. Unfortunately this intended usage was never made explicit in the eduPerson specification. According to Andrew and Mikael's usage comparison, the UK term of preference would be "staff" rather than "employee."

I bring this up only because the proposed definition in the REFEDS document is "staff" are "workers other than teachers or researchers." This would seem to go against UK Access Management Federation usage. Is this particular category of affiliation worth further discussion?

              --Keith