Refeds

Subject RE: publisher interface study
From <J.Paschoud@xxxxxxxxx>
Date Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:03:43 +0100

I agree that a common name and branding would help.  This was a clear
conclusion from the excellent Publisher Interface Study report by Rhys
Smith.  Brand and infrastructure can be independent.  (I'm sure there
must be some non-Internet-world examples out there but I can't think of
one now.)

However, we need to appreciate that the actual providers of federation
services in each country (usually the NREN such as JANET in the UK) will
naturally have a desire to maintain their own branding.  This is evident
in the UK by the fact that we still like to call eduroam "JANET Roaming
Service" or JRS (reminiscent of "Fog in Channel, Europe cut off"  - but
please Google for this yourself if you're not old enough to know where
it comes from ;->).

Perhaps the key problem we need to solve is how a universal brand can be
presented alongside information about the parties involved in a
particular transaction (i.e. IdP, SP and WAYF).  "A resource protected
by eduID, provided by Elsevier, Licensed by Bloghampton University, with
discovery mediated by JANET(UK)" is *definitely too clunky!  - But
something designed right to convey this information to an end-user could
also help to identify who to call when something doesn't work.

I raised (at a JISC meeting for potential project bidders last week) the
issue that usability and UI design  - including of the 'discovery
problem' and the more sophisticated bits of FAM with which users may
interact in the future (devolved authority, etc) is significantly
missing from the key themes that JISC is trying to address in its' next
round of IdAM development.  This needs to be more than assumed or
implicit because it's crucial to the whole thing becoming a dominant
standard.

John
--
John Paschoud